Africa's icon of real estate
Founder and Life President of the Pam Golding Property Group
Country: South Africa
Sector: Real Estate
Pam Golding is one of Africa's most successful women entrepreneurs and an icon of the real estate industry. She founded Pam Golding Properties in South Africa in 1976 with no start-up capital and just a single sales assistant. The company now has over 300 offices in Africa as well as international offices in the UK, Germany, France and Mauritius. It is one of South Africa’s largest independent property trading companies with 2010 turnover of US$1.7 billion. Pam is now retired from active management, but remains the Life President of the company she founded.
Pam now devotes much of her energy to her philanthropic work and remains a powerful and positive role model for all women entrepreneurs. Pam's success ensures she is also internationally acknowledged as one of the world’s leading businesswomen.
Pam's Startup Story
Since the 1970’s when Pam Golding first opened the doors of her property business in South Africa, she has built a formidable reputation, career and a business that is renowned around the world, inspiring generations of women in business who have followed her example.
Today, the name Pam Golding is synonymous with the property industry in Africa and around the world, in her role as founder and life president of South Africa’s renowned estate agency, Pam Golding Property (PGP) Group. But, how did she get started in the business? She matriculated from Collegiate School for Girls in Port Elizabeth and has a BA degree majoring in English & Psychology (Hons) from the University of Cape Town. Her first job was at the University of Natal Pietermaritzburg as assistant to the Student Advisor, followed by the position of sales agent for the Junior Literary Society and then sales promotion and marketing assistant at Caltex head office.
Pam Golding built a property empire and earned her place as one of the world's leading businesswomen - all whilst maintaining her effortless grace and charm and never losing sight of her exemplary levels of ethics and integrity. Her journey has provided a wonderful example for the next generation of women entrepreneurs to follow. --- Melanie Hawken, LoA founder & editor-in-chief
Pam Golding is an inspiration and role-model for women and is widely regarded as one of the world's leading businesswomen and entrepreneurs.
"Today it might be called entrepreneurial spirit, but back then I SIMPLY DARED TO TRY, not sure quite how I would get there, but determined all the same."
"Encouraging other women from all walks of life to achieve their aspirations and be successful is of great importance to me. Women have much to gain from networking with other women who are successful, in whatever their chosen field"
Awards & Accolades
Pam Golding's awards and honours include:
- Business Against Crime WC – Achiever of The Year Award 2009
- Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur Awards - Lifetime Achievement Award (2009)
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Business Administration from the Walter Sisulu University (2009)
- Honorary Life Member of the Institute of Estate Agents of South Africa (2008)
- Provincial Honours Award in the Category: Officer - for her contribution to the economic development of the Western Cape and in acknowledged of her involvement in empowering women in business. (2007)
- Cape Times/KPMG Business Personality of the Year (2003)
- Die Burger & Kaapstad Sakekamer Sakeleier van die Jaar – (Translated as: Business Leader of the Afrikaans Chamber of Commerce) – the first and only woman to have received this prestigious award (2001)
- The Star Group – One of the Leading 50 Women Entrepreneurs of the World (1998)
- Commissioner for Africa and Mauritius for Femmes Chefs d’Enterprises Mondiales
- BWA Executive Women’s Club Businesswoman of the Year (1996)
- Previously a member of The Women’s Leadership Board at the John F Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University
- International Women’s Forum
- Desmond Tutu Peace Trust Board Member
- University of Pretoria Business Clinic Pioneer Entrepreneur