by Lori Milner: author, entrepreneur, thought leader and founder of Beyond the Dress
Tim Ferriss, the #1 New York Times best-selling author of The 4-Hour Workweek, shares the ultimate choose-your-own-adventure book — a compilation of tools, tactics, and habits from 130+ of the world’s top performers. From iconic entrepreneurs to elite athletes, from artists to billionaire investors, their short profiles can help you answer life’s most challenging questions, achieve extraordinary results, and transform your life.
Here are some of my favourite quotes and excerpts which provide a quick dose of inspiration:
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” - Anaïs Nin
- “Success can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations we are willing to have, and by the number of uncomfortable actions we are willing to take.”
- “Happiness, or at least peace, is the sense that nothing is missing in this moment”
- “Inside suffering is the seed of change”
- “Sometimes … not getting what you want opens the door to getting what you need”
- “Life will go faster than you know. It will be tempting to live a life that impresses others. But this is the wrong path. The right path is to know that life is short, every day is a gift, and you have certain gifts. Happiness is about understanding that the gift of life should be honoured every day by offering your gifts to the world. Don’t let yourself define what matters by the dogma of other people’s thoughts. And even more important, don’t let the thoughts of self-doubt and chattering self-criticism in your own mind slow you down.”
- “You will likely be your own worst critic. Be kind to yourself in your own mind. Let your mind show you the same kindness that you aspire to show others.”
- “In every difficult moment ask yourself, “What is a hard choice and what is an easy choice?” and you will know instantly what is right”.
- “Some men see things as they are and say ‘why?’ I dream of things that never were and say ‘why not?”— Robert Kennedy
- “Where you are headed in life or what you are passionate about, pay attention to activities, ideas, and areas where you love the process, not just the results or the outcome. We are drawn to tasks where we can receive validation through results, but I’ve learned that true fulfilment comes from love of the process. Look for something where you love the process, and the results will follow.”
- “Do your own thinking independently. Be the chess player, not the chess piece.”
- “When I am feeling unfocused, the first question I ask myself is, “Am I rehearsing my best self?” And if the answer is no, I ask myself how can I reset. Each day presents us with 86,400 seconds, which means each day presents us with virtually countless opportunities to reset, recover our balance, and continue rehearsing our best selves. If I realize my focus is off, and certainly when I’m experiencing any negative emotions, I ask myself, “Where should my attention be right now?” Almost always, the answer is “my mission,” which is like a beacon that always beckons.”
- “Everybody is somebody, but nobody wants to be themselves.”
- “Life does not ask what we want. It presents us with options.”
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
- “It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.”
- “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.”
- “Lose an hour in the morning, chase it all day.”
- “There is nothing more powerful than failure to reveal to you what you are truly capable of”
My key takeout of this book is the power in cultivating your own personal Board of Directors or tribe of mentors. No matter what your goals are and how they relate to your definition of success, ensure you have a good support structure – whether that’s family, friends or others you can depend on. These are the people who will push you and support you.
Here’s to owning your tribe,
LORI MILNER is the engaging facilitator, thought leader and mentor known for her insightful approach to being a modern corporate woman. Her brainchild, the successful initiative Beyond the Dress, is the embodiment of her passion to empower women. Beyond the Dress has worked with South Africa’s leading corporates and empowered hundreds of women with valuable insight on how to bridge the gap between work and personal life. Clients include Siemens, Massmart, Alexander Forbes, Life Healthcare Group, RMB Private Bank and Unilever to name a few. Lori has co-authored Own Your Space: The Toolkit for the Working Woman in conjunction with Nadia Bilchik, CNN Editorial Producer. Own Your Space provides practical tools and insights gleaned from workshops held around the world and from interviews with some of South Africa’s most accomplished women to provide you with tried-and-tested techniques, tips and advice to help you boost your career, enhance your confidence and truly own your space on every level. Own Your Space is the ultimate ‘toolkit’ to unleash your true power. It’s for the woman who wants to take her career to new heights and who is ready to fulfil her true potential.
Read more articles by Lori...