Guest Post by: Tumi Frazier, founder of Tumi Frazier International
What is your general response when someone says: “let’s catch up for coffee” or "let’s set up a meeting"? There is nothing as frustrating as attending a meeting with no clear purpose; the type of a meeting where you discuss what was discussed in the previous meeting about what should have been accomplished at the meeting prior to that. This sounds confusing doesn’t it?
There seem to be too many meetings in the workplace; many of which are a waste of time because they are poorly planned and managed. Managing a successful business requires building relationships and personal connections, hence meetings are an essential part of the life of every business. Effective meetings often produce valuable results such as team building, decision making, sharing of perspectives and expertise, addressing pressing challenges, and providing regular updates.
If the purpose of the meeting is unclear then the meeting is likely to be a cost to your productivity. This meeting is essentially an expensive proposition.
6 key tips to make your meetings more effective
- Clarify the focus or purpose of the meeting.
- Always start on time to show respect for those who showed up on time and to send a clear message to late comers. In fact, Brian Tracy, one of the most listened to audio authors on personal and business success in the world today says: “Assume those that are late are not coming at all and get on with the agenda; and most importantly do not repeat important information you have already covered for the sake of those who come in late”.
As harsh as this may sound, it is business and respecting everyone else’s time.
- Always end meetings on time - discuss the subject thoroughly and get to some closure and decisions.
- Summarize action plans, people responsible, and deadlines for deliverables.
- Set the date and time for the next meeting.
- Minutes to be sent out in a day or two to keep the momentum going.
Tumi Frazier is a South African entrepreneur, professional speaker, author, TV personality, consultant, and founder of Tumi Frazier International, Tumi Leadership Academy, and Tumi Foundation. Tumi is an internationally acclaimed Leadership and Change Management expert who has worked with high profile clients and organizations across Africa, United States and Europe. Tumi has authored 4 books: Courageous Stories of Inspiration; In the Midst of the Storm; Stepping Stones to Success; and Your Moment. Follow Tumi Twitter | LinkedIn
Read more articles by Tumi Frazier